A healthier option to your fries cravings!
- 1 cup water or vegetable stock
- 1 cup non dairy milk (unsweetened, and unflavoured)
- 1/4 cup aquafaba
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup corn flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal (divided)
- 2 1/2 tsp vegan butter
- oil for frying
- dipping sauce of your choice
- In a medium saucepan, bring the vegetable stock and the salt to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer and slowly add the corn flour, a little at a time, whisking continuously. It’s important to do this so you don’t get lumps. You could also sift the cornflour into the vegetable stock if you like.
- Now add 1/4 cup of cornmeal, using the same method. The polenta will quickly thicken and get very “bloopy.”
- Remove from heat and stir in vegan butter. Set aside for a moment while you prepare the pan.
- Lightly oil an 8” x 8” cake pan. Spread the polenta into the pan, and smooth the top with a spatula. Place in the fridge to set overnight.
- The next day, remove from the fridge and carefully flip upside down onto a cutting board. Using a sharp knife, slice into “fries.”
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan, and wait for the old to begin o shimmer to know it’s hot enough.
- While the oil is heating add the remaining 1/4 cup of cornmeal to a shadow dish, and toss the polenta fries in it to coat.
- Cook the fries in the hot oil, being sure to flip them until the are crispy and browned on the edges. Drain on paper towel, hit them with a little extra sea salt, and serve hot with your favourite dip.
For more on this recipe, check out the video: Polenta Fries
Recipe by Rebecca Coleman at Cooking By Laptop